Thursday, October 28, 2010

Custom needle case


I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!
I just got back from a great trip with the hubby, and this little needle case was awesome to carry all my knit/crochet stuff. I made it just before we left after realizing that the only bag I had big enough to carry all my yarn had no pockets for needles or anything. Then I remembered I had this absolutely adorable kitten fabric laying around (I had actually been hoarding it for a project worthy of it's cuteness!)... And voila ;D
I know there are a few patterns available on the web, but here's mine which used exactly 2 fat quarters, and a 12 inch piece of ribbon:


Cut your 2 fat quarters so you have 2 pieces 5x18 inches, and 2 pieces 18x18 inches.
A. Stitch the 2 smaller pieces together (right sides facing) as shown in diagram using .5 inch seams. Clip the corners and turn right side out. This is the pocket piece.
B. Lay out one of the larger pieces right side up. Place the pocket piece just made on top and sew pocket separations as indicated in diagram B. You can place as many as you like here, evenly spaced or not.
C. Fold ribbon tie in half and stitch in place as shown. Stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as possible to avoid stitches showing when everything is done.
D. Now take the final large piece of fabric and lay it on top (with right sides facing) and stitch as shown in diagram D, using .25 inch seam. Clip corners and turn out through opening left in the bottom edge. Press and top stitch bottom edge to close.

Enjoy ;D

Click on the diagram below to enlarge:


In my photo you'll notice I didn't use ribbon, that's because I had enough fabric to make a tie. This is simple 2 pieces of 1.5 x 12.5 inch fabric stitched together(right sides facing) with .25 inch seam leaving 1 inch opening on one of the long edges, corners clipped, turned right side out, and pressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment