Thursday, May 23, 2019

Wood + cement = modern farmhouse cake stand

I love finding inspiration in unusual places... especially when it means avoiding a large retail price tag! This project was inspired by a beautiful slate topped walnut pedestal dining table from a high end retailer.  I loved the shape and presence of the table, but (1) I don't need a new table, and (2) not looking to spend a few thousand today. And voila, the design for this stylish little cake stand was conceived. From casting the cement top, to turning the wooden base, to sealing a food-ready surface, I'll show you how it's done ;D

Casting cement
This was a first for me, so I was super excited to give it a try. The cement mix was a hardware store purchase (quickcrete) and couldn't be easier to use: just add water! To get the perfect round shape, I had to do a little research but came across some fantastic cement molds online. Silicone cement molds are available online from etsy or amazon, and can be costly but will stand up to repeat use. For my initial project, I decided to opt for a slightly less expensive track and purchased a silicone cake pan. It didn't give the same perfect round circle, but it's a great inexpensive alternative if you just want to give this project a try. So with all the supplies gathered, (1) mix the cement as indicated by manufacturer, (2) pour into mold, (3) give a wiggle and tap to flatten and get the air bubbles out, and (4) let dry over night or longer.
Wooden base
Next step is the wooden base, and this takes some special tools; namely a lathe and drill. 
I'm using a 3.5 inch diameter piece of ash for the pedestal, and a 6 inch diameter piece of poplar for the top. What if you don't have those tools? Well, this is a challenge but why not scavenge for some chunky furniture legs... local thrift shops, flea markets, hardware stores, or online like ebay or etsy? Any way you get it, you will need to follow the next few steps to prep it for assembly...
 

With the pedestal and top sanded smooth and ready, it's time to prep them for gluing. For extra stability, I like to drill a 3/8 hole in the center of each and insert a dowel in addition to gluing the flat sides together. Wood glue makes this an easy job, just slather it on, add a little pressure, and let rest for 12-24 hours.

Finishing touch
With the wooden base assembled, it's now time to apply your favorite stain or paint. You could do this later, but it really is cleaner and easier to do this step before adding the cement top! I'm using a walnut stain which I just love right now (just goes with everything) and it looks so sophisticated next to cool gray cement. Once dry, I also like to apply a coat of poly, this time in a matte finish. Wax or bare wood works just as well. Next, the cement top gets a coat of natural beeswax. Cement is a porous surface, and the wax just acts as a food safe sealer. Finally, the cement top gets attached to the wooden top with a bit of liquid nails... and we're done!


OK, that's all for now; on to the next project! Want to know what it is?  Follow me on twitter or instagram for sneak peeks and updates! If you're just looking for DIY inspiration, stayed tuned @ dawntoussaint.com for more on my DIY projects through the year! And if you're looking to get some of the items you've seen here on my blog, on twitter, or on my boards, just head over to my etsy shop!




1 comment:

  1. I like how creative this all is! Color choice and unique design ideas make the cake stands beautiful. We also have unique design cupcake and cake stand.

    ReplyDelete