Saturday, August 21, 2010

Crochet-a-long: Padma part 1


OK so a few of you out there are into a crochet-a-long and I'm so glad because I think this could be really fun... here's the twist, I'm not going to show you my finished piece until the end! What I will share are the sketches I used to design the pattern, I call her Padma...

Padma is worked in a continuous spiral pattern for most of her parts, starting from the bottom up, then the top down. I'm using a bulky weight wool and size G hook, but gauge doesn't matter here so use what you like to get the results you prefer. With my supplies I will get an elephant about 5-6 inches tall, and 3-4 inches wide. You will also need some stuffing, 12-14mm eyes(optional), and any other embellishments you would like to adorn her with. Did I mention, I am going to provide a basic pattern here... so it's up to you to come up with your own way to dress her up! This makes the big reveal even more awesome ;D

The complete pattern is broken into 4 installments that I'll post here 2x a week(Sat & Wed).


As always, there must be rules, so here they are:
1. Ask any question or feedback that comes to mind while working on this project, that's why we're here!
2. Please share your pics, we want to see how it's going!
3. Even though this pattern is free, please don't copy and distribute it... but feel free to link to it here!


So here's the first installment of Padma:
LEGS(make 4)
Start with a magic circle into which 6 SC are made.
R1: INCR1 in each stitch across (12 sts)
R2: *SC 1, INCR1* repeat across (18 sts)
R3: In back loops only, SC across.
R4-7: SC across.

BELLY(make 1)
Start with a magic circle into which 6 SC are made.
R1: INCR1 in each stitch across (12 sts)
R2: *SC 1, INCR1* repeat across (18 sts)
R3: *SC 2, INCR1* repeat across (24 sts)
Next row joins legs to the belly
R4: *With yarn still attached to belly piece, pick up one of the legs and SC next 6sts through both belly and leg.* Repeat with each remaining leg, and bind off.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn,
    Got Part 1 done :o)
    Are you going to post a link to a group (flikr/ravelry)?
    Where would you like to see progress?
    I put the first photos on my blog.
    Thank you for the CAL, thank you for the Subject.. hee hee :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will make a great side project, now to find nice yarn and my hook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and cute sketch. I've posted pics of part 1 on my blog. I look forward to next part:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your pattern! Will post pictures on my blog when I start - just need to finish another project first...

    ReplyDelete
  5. News Flash!!! New ravelry group now open:
    CAL with DawnToussaint

    http://www.ravelry.com/groups/cal-with-dawntoussaint

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished up my part 1 of this crochet along, i'm going to make here purple with pink spots!

    Anyways it's up on my blog =3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finished the first part of my Padma. You can read about it on my blog. I also added some remarks for you at the bottom of this post.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how fun! I am going to dig thru my yarn stash and I'll be ready for the next installment tomorrow!
    This is so sweet of you to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would also love to join this crochet along what a good idea. I have just started a tester foe esshaych so i will join in your fun as soon as i can thankyou
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Idea I am a little late but will start to work on it soon. In the process of moving so no real time to make anything

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute idea!!! I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this pattern...thanks for sharing...
    I already finished it & post it in my blog http://tweecraftproject.blogspot.com/2011/08/28-pink-elphy.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing such a lovely pattern! I'm actually new to crochet and amigurumis, so this would be a silly question I guess but I have to ask anyway just to be sure I'm doing everything right...when I finish a leg, do I have to join the last stitch of the 7th row with the first one with a slip stitch?..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dawn, thank you so much for sharing the pattern for this adorable elephant! I've made at least three of them that now live in three different countries. I shared your pattern with a friend and I cannot even count how many she made for her friends! When I had a baby, she gave me a baby mobile with 6(!) elephants in different colors with jingle bells inside! My baby absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete