Saturday, December 3, 2016

London calling! Footstool makeover part 1


I do love to mix things up! Contemporary with vintage, soft with sleek, handmade with industrial. I think the dichotomy just accentuates the best of both worlds. So, do I think of punk rock when I think of foot stools... Well, maybe not right away. But when I saw this strange, plastic covered thing in the thrift shop I just had a vision! A monochrome Union Jack, in needlepoint... it just had to be ;D

So needlepoint on a footstool is not a new concept, but this will not be Granny's needlepoint. I'm hoping the monochrome Union Jack pattern will give it that touch of the unexpected, for a totally modern look. As I researched my options, I found a few inspiration pieces that helped solidify my design!

 This makeover is something of a labor of love for me, because I'm going to be combining some of my favorite crafts as well as learning a new one. Here's the plan:

  1. Spin up some grey wool, fingering weight
  2. Buy some needlepoint canvas and paint the union jack pattern
  3. Complete the needlepoint
  4. Prep and paint the footstool frame
  5. Upholster the top using the needlepoint
So spinning yarn, and upholstery are not new for me, but needlepoint is... and I'm looking forward to giving it a try! The first step is a little research, and I've already found a couple sites that I really like:

With supplies ordered, yarn spun, and frame prepped, that's it for now... but we still have a lot of work to do! Stay tuned for part 2 of this little adventure in the coming days. In the meantime, feel free to check out some of my past projects, or even some of the items available in my etsy shop!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment