Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Mother's day: free knitting pattern

For Mother's day, I usually try to think of something I can give to my Mom that will be meaningful... not just another object to clutter up her space. The last time I was over at her house, as we hung out in the kitchen drinking coffee, she held up an old looking dishcloth and said "hey, do you think you can make these?" What she was actually holding was a hand knit dish towel that my Grandmother made years ago, before she passed away. This was exactly the gift I was hoping to give her this year!

Dishcloths are a simple and quick knit, and don't even require a pattern if you're an experienced knitter. They can be as ornate or utilitarian as you wish, and can double as washcloths making a great spa gift basket compliment, or for Mom's with babies. They can also vary in material, although cotton is by far the most common; bamboo, flax, and even nylon are acceptable alternatives.

I'm happy to share my pattern here, and hope that it provides years of use... just like Grandma's have ;D

Simple lace washcloth/dishcloth
DK or worsted weight yarn(cotton), size 8-9 needles
Set up by casting on 44, and knitting 3 rows in Stockinette.
Then begin pattern from Row1 below.
(RS)Row1: K3, *K2, K2tog, YO* repeat* to last 5 sts, K5
(WS)Row2: K3, P38, K3
(RS)Row3: K3, *K2, YO, SSK* repeat* to last 5 sts, K5
(WS)Row4:  K3, P38, K3
Repeat these 4 rows until piece measures approximately 10-11 inches.
Work next 3 rows in Stockinette, bind off, weave in ends, and block for a neatly finished piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment