Friday, August 12, 2016

DIY project: homemade dog treats

There are so many different treat options out there for our furry friends... but which ones are worth the cost? Which are really good for them? And which are good for the budget? Forget all these questions, because the answer is: homemade! You can create nutritious, delicious, and inexpensive dog treats at home with items you probably already have in your pantry. Not only are the great for your dogs... but they make awesome gifts too! In this post, we'll check out a few of my favorite recipes ;D

There are so many recipes out on the web, in books, and everywhere... but I caution that homemade doesn't necessarily mean safe. There are a lot of people foods that are just not safe for dogs (either at all, or even in small amounts): onions, raisins, avocado, milk, chocolate... get more on this from the ASPCA .

I happen to have a dog who has lots of skin allergies, and although he doesn't have any food allergies that we know of I like to keep his diet as grain-free as possible... so as you prepare, just keep in mind any specific dietary restrictions of your dogs! The recipes I am presenting here are not necessarily veterinarian tested, but they don't include any generally harmful ingredients... and my dogs have really enjoyed them ;D

My go to recipe is more of a formula than a recipe, and goes like this...
For the base, use all of hte following:
  • 2 cups oat flour
  • 1 cup oats (quick oats work fine)
  • .25 cup veg. oil
  • .25 cup water
For the flavor, choose one of the following:
  • .5 cup peanut butter (natural, no salt or sugar)
  • .5 cup plain applesauce, cinnamon sprinkle
  • 1 banana mashed
  • .5 cup grated carrot

Peanut butter is my dogs' favorite, which is great because I always seem to have it on hand! Mix all ingredients together (on low) until they come together into a ball of dough. Next decide how you want to present your cookies! I love to use cookie cutters when I have the time... so many cute shapes! I also got this adorable "home made" cookie stamp as a gift, which works great!



This recipe makes a good amount, using 2.5 inch cutters I always get at least 3 dozen cookies! Bake these on cookie sheets, at 350F for about 30 mins. They should have a nice toasty color around the edges when done... you should also find your pups circling the area!

These aren't the only treats I make! I happen to have a dehydrator, if you do too... try making dehydrated treats out of sweet potato or lean cuts of beef! Slice about .25 inches thick and dry on 165F for 6-8 hours. The treats should be totally dry when done. They're flexible while warm, but harden as they cool!

Whatever you make, try packing a few up and sharing them with your friends... This treat's not only for their dogs, but for them too! There are so many adorable and inexpensive options for packaging: craft shops are selling bakery style boxes, just tie a cute ribbon around it. Or do what I did, and find a simple little canning jar! Anyway you do it, it will definitely be appreciated ;D

That's it; on to the next project! Want to know what it is? Follow me on twitter for sneak peeks and updates! If you're just looking for DIY inspiration, stayed tuned @ dawntoussaint.com for more on my DIY projects through the summer! If you're looking to get some of the items you've seen here, on twitter, or on my boards, check out my etsy shop!

5 comments:

  1. I hope your dog is doing well, my dog also happen to have allergies and I've been very cautious when it comes to foods I give him, https://exoticonlinepetstoreblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/11/learn-about-the-best-dog-food-for-allergies/ provided me with ideas on how to deal with it, you might also want to check it out. I can't always make homemade meals for him but I take pride in making homemade treats for him. I'll never run out of recipe because of blogs like this, thanks for sharing your recipe. If you'd like, I can also share some homemade recipe that I already did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Love to see some more recipes... Especially for dogs with allergies ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's me again, It's been so long since I post here, I would like to share something again it's very interesting on how to make freeze dried dog treats this article https://breedingbusiness.com/dried-beef-liver-dog-treats/ has a lot of good information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh... that's something I've never tried, Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for every other informative site. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such an ideal means? I have a venture that I’m just now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such information. pros and cons of dog treats

    ReplyDelete