Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Holiday knitting: keep warm with a few of my favorite free patterns

I love to spend time with the family during the holidays, but I also know that at some point during the festivities I will need a break. At some point after dinner, when the football comes on TV, and kids start getting out their games... that's when I break out the knitting needles, find a comfy chair, and settle in! Whether you need a break from the crowd, or you need to get ahead of your gift knitting, stay warm with a few of my favorite free patterns to work during the holidays!



Before we jump in, of course I have to disclaim a few things... While I am a pattern designer myself, these are not my patterns. I haven't actually completed all of them, so I can't answer questions about the designs or techniques in the instructions. The patterns are generously shared for free, by the designers (just click on the photo to link to the patterns). However, I don't know any of these designers personally, nor have I been compensated for this review. I simply love patterns from independent designers, and want to share their great work! That being said... let's jump in ;D


Age of brass and steam kerchief by Orange Flower Yarn
One of my long term favorites, this is not only one of my favorite patterns, but I love to wear my kerchief! If you have a large skein of handspun that you've been haording for that perfect project... this could be it!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-age-of-brass-and-steam-kerchief


Chevron baby blanket by Espace Tricot
It's hard to go wrong with beautiful classic designs! This one is reminiscent of those zig zag crochet blankets we grew up with, but updated. Makes a great gift, this one works for everyone from babies to grown ups alike!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/chevron-baby-blanket-19


Susie Rogers' Reading Mitts by Susie Rogers
These mitts are simple enough to knit up quick, but have just enough lace to make them appear complicated, making them a great last minute knit gift. And that halo effect from the alpaca yarn gets even better with wear!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/susie-rogers-reading-mitts


I'll Pack A Cowl for Rhinebeck by Deb Jacullo
Maybe you like a little more challenge in your holiday knits... How about a stranded cowl, with an adorable sheep theme?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ill-pack-a-cowl-for-rhinebeck


Syncopation Socks by Mary Henninger
I adore knitting in the round, and the pattern on this sock is so pretty! And who doesn't need a(nother) pair of handknit socks?
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/syncopation-socks


Winter cable hat by Annanitato Lolo
And how about this chunky cable knit hat? The faux fur pom pom is so nice, but you could easily simplify with a yarn version ;D
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/winter-cable-hat

Once again, I want to thank all the independent designers out there who not only dream up these patterns, but take the time to document them so we can all enjoy them. With this endless supply of inspiration, I know I'll never stop loving this special craft!

OK, that's all for now; on to the next project! Want to know what it is? Follow me on twitter for sneak peeks and updates! If you're just looking for DIY inspiration, stayed tuned @ dawntoussaint.com for more on my DIY projects through the year! If you're looking to get some of the items you've seen here, on twitter, or on my boards, check out my etsy shop!






No comments:

Post a Comment